The New York State Office of Children and Family Services is responsible for licensing and monitoring family child care programs in accordance with the NYS day care regulations.
Licensed Group Family Child Care:
- Provides care to children for more than 3 hours per day per child.
- Provides care for up to three to six children not yet school age PLUS 2 school age children. There must be one caregiver for every 2 children under the age of 2.
- Must have an assistance present in addition to the provider when caring for more than six children.
- Provides care in a residential home.
- Must renew their registration. The first group family child care provider renewal is every 2 years, if remaining in compliance; renewal is then every 4 years.
For more information on regulations, health and safety standards, and required background checks, visit the New York State Office of Children and Family Services.
The New York State Office of Children and Family Services is located at 295 Main Street, Room 545, Buffalo, New York 14203. They can be reached at (716) 847-3828.