Report Child Abuse
Do you know or suspect a child is being abused or neglected? Please report it now.
The Child Abuse Hotline is open 24-hours a day, 7 days a week. The name of the person making the call or report will be kept in confidence.
What is considered child abuse?
An abused child is defined as a child younger than 18 years old whose parent or person legally responsible for his/her care:
- Inflicts or allows to be inflicted upon the child serious physical injury by other than accidental means; or
- Creates or allows to be created a substantial risk of such injury; or
- Commits or allows to be committed against the child a sexual offense as defined in the penal law.
What is considered child maltreatment or neglect?
Maltreatment is defined as a child younger than 18 years old whose physical, mental, or emotional condition has been impaired, or is likely to be impaired as a result of a parent or the person legally responsible for the child failing to exercise a minimum degree of care in:
- Supplying the child with necessary food, clothing, shelter, education, or medical care;
- Providing the child with proper supervision or guardianship;
- Unreasonably inflicting, or allowing to be inflicted, harm or excessive corporal punishment;
- Using drugs or alcohol to the extent that the parent loses control of his/her actions.